Wednesday, February 17, 2010

OPI Jade is the New Black and Meet Me on the Star Ferry

I was fairly underwhelmed by the OPI Hong Kong collection. Originally, I thought I wanted a bunch but when I started seeing swatches, it narrowed down to just two. I picked these two off of eBay since they were available there earlier than the major etailers. They cost a little more but I figured that if I loved them so much that I'd want the entire collection, I could just haul the rest at a lower price from one of the regular etailers.

OPI Meet Me on the Star Ferry

This plummy mauve shimmer is SO deceptive. It looks like it's going to be just a humdrum shimmer -- I've been sort of anti-shimmer lately -- but it's actually such an awesome polish. The color itself is rather staid but the finish is marvelous: it has either holo microshimmer or a ton of microshimmer in multiple colors. It twinkles so beautifully and looks more like foil than a shimmer when the light hits it. I definitely recommend this one. Two coats. I think this would be a nice work-appropriate shade for those who love interesting nail polish but cannot be too obvious about this love in more conservative settings.

Video of Meet Me on the Star Ferry
This video shows off the twinkling really nicely.

Close-up of Meet Me on the Star Ferry
See the multicolored shimmer?? :D

OPI Jade is the New Black


Dusty dark jade green. This actually does look like some of the darker green veins in some of the jade jewelry I've seen. Two coats, super glossy, very easy to apply. I love greens and really like this color but somehow, I'm not as wowed by it as a lot of other people. (That bump on my index finger is the leftovers of the teabag patch I made. I couldn't find my buffing block to get the rest of it off when I decided I NEEDED to do swatches.)

I did end up seeing the entire collection at the mall two weeks ago and, gotta say, not impressed with the rest of them. These will probably remain the only Hong Kong polishes in my stash.

This is an absolutely killer week for me. Everything I scheduled that I absolutely had to do... I managed to schedule for the SAME DAY. HOW did I do that?? But on the up side, my first-year project is just about wrapping up... finally. I hope. I probably jinxed myself right there. It's probably going to take forever and a day now.