Friday, February 19, 2010

Jazz in my pants.

Essie Jazz is my go-to polish when I'm not sure what to wear. Sometimes I get in a rut and this happens - I just stare at all of my pretties and I can't pick one! This is one that always works no matter what - but doesn't bore my out of my skull. (Love my Essie sheers, but sometimes I am in no mood to tolerate their sweet lacy femininity!) Jazz is another one of those 'neutrals with an edge' that I just love! It's a coffee-with-too-much-cream nude that isn't too warm for me because it has a drop of grey and an even smaller drop of lavender in it. Luckily, no pink undertones...(you'll see why later)....

Behold, the gorgeousness:




This is what I was hoping OPI's Tickle My France-Y would look like on me, but I was sorely disappointed! It looks so pretty on other people and I loved it in the bottle, but ugh it looked terrible on me! Truly vomit-inducing. I think it is because it has a small pink undertone that comes out in certain lights. Pink undertones + me = no go. (I am really embarassed to show you a pic of TMF on me...I tried it three times just to make sure it was *that* bad - because so many people love the colour!) So here is a bottle comparison - in most lights they look virtually identical, but if you get them in the right light, you can see the slight pinkiness in TMF:




Not too terribly pink, right? Looks super pretty in the bottle, but the mauve tone takes over on my hands. Honestly, I think it takes on this character because I am fiercely cool-toned, so any warm tones in a polish become extremely exaggerated. ...but trust me on my nails in certain lights it just takes on this....OK fine, I'll show you the picture...

Behold, the ugly:



*runs and hides in embarrassment*

Luckily, I found Essie Jazz. Jazz is basically TMF will all of those pink undertones ripped out of it. *Much* sexier on me. Want another pic of Essie Jazz to refresh your aesthetic palette? Here ya go:




Whew! Nothing like (three coats of) smooth Jazz to sooth your soul...

I love this because while its a nude, its not boring because its got a bit of that dirtied-up, just got-out-of-an-underground-concert-at-4am, gritty grey-ness to it. I feel like this is Essie's answer to RBL Grunge. (I would show you a comparison, but I don't own Grunge - yet.) I find that whenever I wear this, I keep wanting to stare at my hands! It's simple, but perfect. (To me at least.)

Did OPI Tickle My France-Y work for you? Have you ever tried Essie Jazz? Do you have RBL Grunge? How do they compare?? (Sorry for all the questions! I just find that the people who read and comment on my posts are super knowledgeable and helpful with comparisons!)

kittytokaren