Thursday, August 19, 2010

Essie Fall 2010, Part I of II: Sew Psyched, Merino Cool and In Stitches

These landed at my doorstep, courtesy of Essie's PR folks, right as I was getting home from my lab meeting on campus: my advisor brought champagne to celebrate my conference research award. Mmm... champagne and cookies for lunch. Healthy! ;)

Essie In Stitches
The camera pulled this just a tiny bit redder than it appears IRL. It's also slightly dusty; a dusty rose shade. Kind of a grandma shade that is just saved from being a grandma shade by being dusty. Applied very nicely though in two coats. I like the name a lot in light of the sewing theme of this collection.

Essie Merino Cool
This is also slightly dustier and lighter. I was swatching in late afternoon light which can be sort of brutal on dustier colors, making them appear more saturated in photos than they actually are. I love dusty purples that look more taupe-y in shadow though I kind of have a ton of this sort of color lately. Three coats.

Essie Sew Psyched

Again, awesome name. And awesome polish. I don't know how to describe this base color: a darkened celadon, an unsaturated viridian? Grey with a heavy green tint? I also really like the whitened silver shimmer. It makes the polish so lively for this sort of somber color. Apparently, this is a dupe for RBL Diddy Mow but I don't have that one so I can't compare. Went on super smoothly in two coats. Love it!

I had a lot to write on impostor syndrome and feeling absolutely awful about myself; I had started to compose the post on the bus ride home (and was planning to post a pic of my NOTD, Illamasqua Hectic). But I'm exhausted from the trip still and the swatching kind of took the crazy edge off of my thoughts. I feel like I should do some work today but I think I may just take the rest of the day to lay on the couch and watch movies. Or maybe finish swatching the rest of this collection. I'm definitely going to go work out though: I haven't worked out since I left for the conference (dude, that's four or five fewer polishes than I had planned on buying next month, noooo!!).

I'm working on the commenting backlog now that I have my computer and the full powers of the internet at my disposal again. :)