Tuesday, March 2, 2010

RBL polish comparisons - Underwear & No More War

When I factor in price, I just am not feelin the RBL love save a couple colors.

I picked up 3 @ retail price last summer (the Spongebob Collex) and I picked up another 5 during the December sale.

I'm going to do a few posts featuring popular RBL colors and various alternatives.

Underwear

(2 coats)

I hate this polish. It is thick as hell and doesn't level out. While you can achieve almost full coverage at 1 coat, it is totally ugly and uneven, necessitating 2. I can't decide if it's more like applying actual white out or a Konad Special Polish (which, my guess is, Underwear would rock as).

P.S. When I wore it as a NOTD, it chipped badly on 2 nails within 4-5 hours and then started peeling off in sheets as though it were born to do so. Whoever likes this polish can go to hell. *grump* *:P*


White Out - Wet 'n Wild

(2 coats)

The formula is definitely inferior to Underwear but it's 1 buck and the brush is easier to control IMO.

White Out - Orly

(2 coats)

My preferred stark white. It can't achieve opacity at 1 coat (unlike Underwear), but it retails for less than a third the price of an RBL and is actually better. It's shinier, thinner, and levels out fairly well for a stark white.

Anybody else have any holy grail stark whites? I hear decent things about OPI's Alpine Snow

***

No More War

(middle 2 coats, rest 1 coat)

This is one of the two polishes I *really* liked. I find that the contrast with my skin makes NMW a bit greener, which is great in my books! I don't have anything in my collection like it.

In terms of staying power, I found that the RBL colors that need 2 coats for opacity last way longer. This needed at least 2 coats and it still looked really good after 24 hours. Fan!

Dirty Green StrangeBeautiful Vol. 1

(No More War in the center)

StrangeBeautiful isn't a viable alternative to an RBL (or really any polish for that matter) since you have to spend 80 bucks to get a specific color you want. But hey, I have what I have.

Nfu-Oh #565

(Middle & Pinky #565 3 coats, Ring NMW 2 coats)

I searched my stash for a second alternative and this was the second closest color I found. And it's also not close at all. But it dried way darker on the nail than it looked in the bottle so I wasn't quite as off as it seems.

NMW applies way better and dries much faster than #565.

No More War wins battle of the dirty greens. Underwear loses (badly) in my battle of the stark whites.