Friday, March 5, 2010

RBL polish comparisons - Dead Calm & Starfish Patrick

Continuing on w/ my RBL comparisons. In this set we have a 2 colors I love, and 2 formulas I don't.

Dead Calm

(1 coat)

Isn't this color gawwwgeous? The coverage of this polish is well documented and seriously impressive. However, my experiences with staying power left a lot to be desired. I had terrible tip wear w/in mere hours and over the course of 1 day I ran the polish brush over my tips 3 times to combat chipping and tip wear. Not happy.

Neon Sapphire

(Middle & Pinky Neon Sapphire - 3 coats; Ring Dead Calm 2 coats)

This polish is less than 1/10 the price ($1.50) of Dead Calm. The color is slightly lighter and doesn't dry well. But, at $1.50, at least you get close to the color without feeling the sting. Further, I didn't have the annoying tip wear problems.

I like how Flinty described the difference b/w (if I recall correctly) Mismas and Grape Pop. She said it was 6 times the price without being 6 times better. That's exactly what we have here: Dead Calm is 12 times the price without being 12 times better.

Inglot 710

(2 coats - Sorry fuzzy pic!!)

I couldn't help myself. I had to swatch my favorite dark blue ever. It is completely different (thus totally irrelevant) but it is just so AWESOME. Those of you who hate almost blacks, look away. I love you forever, 710!!! *hugs* Wearing this one makes me so happy. It dries to a satin finish but looks bonkers w/ a top coat. No formula complaints.

***

Starfish Patrick

(Middle and Ring 3 coats, Pink 3 coats over 1 coat Underware)

I don't actually have a color comparison for this polish. There is nothing else like it in my collection. I love this color sooo much; it leans on the orange side of peach. I recently swapped away Zoya's Maya; it was the only other jelly peach I had and it was way, way, way too pink to compare anyway.

Problems?
  1. It's kinda streaky...Heh check the pinky - streaky color on top of a streaky white. All yours for 36 bucks! *rolls eyes*
  2. It really does not dry well at all (much like the KleanColor). And yes, I've tried multiple top coats.
There are no comparison winners in this post. Until I get my hands on China Glaze's Peachy Keen, there is only 1 competitor in my orangey-peach challenge. And I do not believe in defacto winners unless the formula genuinely satisfies me (see NMW).

I cannot choose a winner in the dark blue category. 710 doesn't count (it is a navy - wrong color category). And I hate myself no matter which of the other 2 I pick. I choose Neon Sapphire and I groan about the dry time issues, the not as perfect color, and the kind of weird smell KleanColors have. I choose Dead Calm and I'm disgusted for picking anything so expensive and tipwear-y as a winner.

No winners!