Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bad Day Mani: Nubbins avec Chanel Noir Ceramic

I had a really bad day yesterday. None of my science worked - even though I tried really, really hard. Repeatedly. All day. For nothing. And I know that today I'm going to get reamed for it and my boss is going to make me feel like a complete moron for not being able to do something so utterly simple. Who knows, maybe he is right. I got home last night planning on nubbinizing my nails before my mani - taking the clippers to them was actually very satisfying! (I know, I know, I shouldn't use clippers...so sue me.)

So here are my nubbins in Chanel Noir Ceramic:





I was wavering on wearing a black polish because of my mood - I felt like maybe I should be applying something happy to cheer myself up, even though I didn't really feel like it. But then a wise friend said this:


"I know this may sound odd but sometimes if i feel down I just roll with it for the evening. People are always trying to "cheer up" others if they are in a temporary melancholy state, but I don't think there is anything wrong with that emotion. All emotions are normal and healthy, it is just what you do with the emotion that determines if it needs to be addressed.

If I have a bad day,and I want to wallow in my bad day. I listen to some jazz, have something rich to eat, read a good book and turn off the phone. How are we supposed to appreciate happiness and good fortune if we don't have one of these types of days occasionally."



She said it better than I ever could.

I had a bad day - it was frustrating, maddening, and made me cry - I'm allowed to feel bad. So I rolled with it as my wise friend suggested and wore my black polish to match my mood! And you know what, I absolutely love it. She was so right.

Chanel Noir Ceramic is a dark, brooding polish - it is the closest thing to black that I own, but I think my mother would call it 'anthracite' - the darkest dark grey. It has little silver microshimmer in which gives it some depth and interest - and makes it different from a classic solid black polish. I think that the result is pretty darn chic on the nail! The application was great - a little on the thick side, but nothing a few drops of thinner can't fix. The control was great, and coverage was awesome - total opacity in 1.5 coats (1 coat plus touch-ups on some nails).

Now, I know this isn't readily available (because its from the 2006 Limited Edition Spring collection if I recall?) and I don't really love showing you guys polishes that are super hard-to-find, but the good news is it isn't totally unique! Here are some polishes that are in a similar vein:

Misa Wishing on a Star
Sally Hansen Raven's Wing
Dior Black Sequins
Nubar Black Chrome
OPI Baby It's Coal Outside
OPI Black Satin
Essie Over the Top

So I'm still in a bad mood and not looking forward to having my incompetence pointed out, but at least my nails are pretty - and if I cry later, I think they will go well with mascara-dyed tears. (Stop! It's emo time!)

Do you wear black polish? How about when you're in a bad mood - what do you reach for?

kittytokaren