Monday, March 15, 2010

Essie Wicked - the anti-Spring

It's that time of year where it's sort of in-between seasons. The sun is starting to come out, but it's often overcast. Some college girls are wearing flip-flops and mini skirts, some are wearing pea coats. I can't wait for the spring weather - I'm one of those people who is always cold - but one of the things I hate about spring is the fashion. I look like a moron in large floral prints and pastels - like a 5 year-old playing dress-up in mommy's closet, and the unstructured loosey-goosey construction that is the hallmark of spring fashion is just so. darn. unflattering. Fall fashion is what I get really excited about - the great new seam-lines, the darker colours, the chunky knits, the figure flattering belts, the sexy boots. Mmmm...

So consider this my rebellion! I may be wearing a light trench coat, but damnit I'm going to rock a vampy at least one more time before flip-flop season begins in earnest!

Essie Wicked:




Wicked is one of those almost-black colours that not many people seem to like anymore, but hey I do. It is the darkest dark burgundy. You can see the base colour better when you're applying the first coat. The overall effect is fairly bold, and very sexy. The application on this one was a little lacking though. It has a bit of a jelly texture, which is quite nice in the finished result, but makes it go on really streaky. You can't tell from the pic, but even after 2 fairly thick and artfully (in my opinion - hey, I tried...) applied coats, it is still a hot streaky mess under all that. Now no one is going to be able to tell - I can only tell if I hold my hand directly under a full spectrum light and squint, but it still bugs me. The precision wasn't affected by the formula - I needed very little clean-up and that is great because dark colours are harder to clean up, but I think this would have been more successful as a creme.

Regardless, it will remain a staple in my collection. Chanel Rouge Noir is almost identical, but chips horribly on me. For me, Essie is the unsung hero of lasting power.

In general, I try to just wear what I like and buck the trends, but honestly when the sun is shining, I'm wearing light-weight clothing, and flowers are in bloom, there aren't that many moments when I feel like reaching for my vampies. Today, I just felt like I needed a little rebellion for the in-between time - take that spring! - and then I'll have to wait patiently for fall to come around again. Unless the vampy mood strikes. ;)

What do you think? Do you wear different polish for different seasons?

kittytokaren