Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cheap drugstore thrills: Sinful Mint Apple and Wet n Wild Night Prowl

Evidence that nail polish can be good without being expensive or hard-to-find!

Sinful Mint Apple

I'm going to pretend like the name of this polish doesn't sound like the Essie polish "Mint Candy Apple". But who cares about non-creative borrowing when a polish is as fantastic as this? Blue-leaning mint green with silver shimmer. I'm used to Sinful polishes being a bit on the thin side but this was a surprising two-coater. Often, I don't think of Sinfuls as a great use of $2 but this was definitely worth it. The shimmer is really what makes the polish: it never quite looks like a creme but the shimmer becomes very obvious and extremely pretty when the light hits it.

Wet n Wild Night Prowl Blue Moon

How do you beat 99¢ polish? You don't! This was a bit on the thin side and required three coats for me to get to completely opaque (though it would have been passable at two). The gold-highlighted light blue shimmer in the polish sort of disappears on the nail but it still remains a solid blue shimmer. Honestly, I was a tad disappointed in this polish: I have had great experiences with Wet n Wild Shine polishes and I was hoping it would look more like the bottle color.

On a red-eye to NYC tonight. Sigh. I hate red-eye flights but it's usually 1. a direct flight and 2. the cheapest to boot. So... plan for tomorrow... get into NYC at 6:30am, nap for a couple of hours and then a day full of talks on sentence processing.