Friday, August 13, 2010

The Hunt For Red (By) October, Part 1

Confession time. I'm red-a-phobic. Even though its very classic, and I see it on people all the time, and it looks great, I always feel really self-conscious putting on red polish! I always feel like it screams out loud in comparison to my whisper of a skin tone. But for some reason, I've been hankering for a red mani that works, and I'm now on a quest for my perfect red.

OK this takes some cojones for me.....*deep breath* OPI Vodka & Caviar:


Flinty told me she really liked this on me, so that must mean something, right?

OK so I'm still a little terrified. I'm not completely sure what it is about this one, but I'm not convinced that it's my ideal red. I used to have one from EZ Flow Systems (I think?) called Hot Peppers (or something?) that was the perfect bright red on me. I think that one was a little deeper and a little more orange-y than Vodka & Caviar.

Just like my summer 'Quest for Coral', this fall I'm trying to find my perfect red(s) by October, so that I can wear it/them during the fall and winter months. Hence the name, Hunt For Red (By) October! (I also love submarine movies.) I think I will probably end up with one brighter shade that would work in summer, as well as a deeper toned colour for fall. I suppose I'm just looking for reds that flatter my skin tone, yet don't turn burgundy under fluorescent lighting. (I love you anyways, OPI Got the Blues for Red...but I'm looking for red red RED!)

Next up? OPI Big Apple Red - supposedly a classic that wins awards and hearts left and right, and Essie A-List - another well-loved award-winner. I'm also very open to your suggestions!

How do you feel about red?? Does it make you feel more like a sexy screen siren or a blaring emergency flare?

kittytokaren