Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Instead of Coral: Essie Turquoise & Caicos

In the summer I like to wear jewelry that I wouldn't normally wear in the winter. I tend to alternate between delicate coral pieces and chunky turquoise necklaces. Since my search for that perfect coral polish has been difficult, I decided that I should do the same with my nails - try turquoise on for size!

I picked this up a while ago on impulse and immediately regretted it - I felt stupid...I was certain I had purchased something that looked pretty in the bottle but would look awful on my nails. But then one day, as I was piling on the turquoise jewelry over my basic black tee, I thought 'why not'?

Essie Turquoise & Caicos is a colour I wouldn't even think twice about getting in clothing, accessories or home goods - anything this colour comes home with me. I'm very into MCM design and this colour is a staple from that era. Heck, this is the colour of the KitchenAid mixer in my wildest fantasies! But on my nails, I wasn't so sure...

And I think it's working? I am way out of my comfort zone with this, so help me out ladies!

Essie Turquoise & Caicos:


Of course this is not a colour I'm going to sport every day, but I am enjoying wearing it! It matches a lot of the turquoise pieces I have, and with a basic outfit I think it makes quite a statement. It is deeper and more intense than Chanel Nouvelle Vague, which is the only other colour I have in this family (and I'll be showing it to you soon). I've received several compliments on this, and I can't wait to try it on my toes!

This pic was taken after several days of wear, so excuse the out-growth - but look at the great wear! It was a total mess to apply - 3 treacherous coats of hot streakiness. Once I got it all on there and popped a thick coat of Seche Vite over the top, it looked like a million bucks and all of the problems I had with application weren't visible.

I think this is a great summer alternative to coral for me - bright, but yet cute, and I don't feel like a total moron wearing it if I have the right accessories.

Do you think this turquoise is too bold for me? Do you ever match your outfit/accessories with your polish?

kittytokaren