Friday, January 29, 2010

We are building a religion...

...a limited edition!

Laura Mercier Caviar Dreams to be exact. This was a limited edition polish from the Winter 2008 Black Tie Collection. I just acquired this beauty and I just have to rave! It is a gorgeous polish with a dark charcoal base that shimmers a vibrant emerald green or sometimes when you least expect it, a deep eggplant. I thought the best way to describe this polish was like black pearls - it has the same iridescent qualities that change in the light.

I tried my best to capture her different personalities:

Can you see the hint of aubergine shimmer?


The green shimmer is more vibrant in real life!

The one problem with this polish - application! It's a shame because I think the formula is actually pretty decent - this was two coats of highly pigmented glory. The brush is just so cumbersome that it makes applying it feel like you're trying to land a 747 on a postage stamp. The bottle looks much like Chanel bottles - it has a large square cap. (See pic below!) However, while with Chanel you can slide off the square cap to reveal a much more dextrous, more petite brush handle, this square cap is attached to the brush - ugh! But to me, this polish was worth the trouble. Its gorgeous. Elegant, but somehow very intriguing...



And now I wouldn't feel right showing you a limited edition polish without suggesting an obtainable alternative! Although I don't own it to swatch it - from the pictures I've seen/people I've talked to, Borghese Stellare Notte seems to replicate this fairly well. They are both deep charcoal bases with green and purple shimmer. From the looks of it the difference is that the purple is more prominent in the Borghese whereas the green is more prominent in Caviar Dreams.

Do any of you have Borghese Stellare Notte? What do you think?

On another note - I got a digital camera!! Yes, all of my photos have been from my phone. My awesome phone with auto-adjusting macro, but still a phone. I still haven't figured out my new camera so bear with me, but I hope to give you better pics in the future!

kittytokaren