Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chanel Particuliere - a love re-kindled



Chanel was my first nail polish-love.



My mother is one of those incredibly elegant European women that manages to look fabulous no matter what. She never leaves the house without her hair and make-up done. She believes that "ladies always wear stockings" and that a women should 'dress' to travel - and certainly should never wear jeans. She was and is my style inspiration. When I was growing up she always had a bottle of Chanel Rouge Noir on her vanity and I've always associated it with that easy, Burberry-wearing (oh this old thing?) elegance that my mother possesses.



Flash forward several years and I have my own bottle of Rouge Noir, my own sense of style, and a nail polish collection that spans many brands. I only own two Chanels (Rouge Noir and Lollipop) and when I want to splurge on luxury polish, I usually go with RBL (seriously have a problem). I'd honestly forgotten the beauty of Chanel, until I *needed* Particuliere.



I love these edgy neutrals that have come out in recent years - they are very me. And I don't care if they're trendy, passe, cliche or boring. I love them and will wear them for a long time to come. (This is how I justified the Particuliere purchase...) I bit the bullet yesterday and I'm *so glad* that I did! I had totally forgotten how awesome the Chanel formula is!! At first I was wavering on buying Particuliere because I have it's cousins OPI You Don't Know Jacques and $OPI Metro Chic. It is closer to YDKJ than I expected:






L-R: Particuliere, YDKJ, Particuliere (literally slapped on these swatches...)



That's 1.5 coats (2 but really could have gotten away with one thicker one) of Particuliere and like 3-4 of YDKJ. I love YDKJ but if you don't leave a lot of time between coats it gets all gloopy and balding. Particuliere applied just like my RBLs - flawless, easy to control, the works.



I decided later to make it my mani and I'm really happy with it. I feel like an elegant European woman myself but this time in *my* colour. I may not have a Burberry coat to drape over my shoulders but I think I am going to walk a little taller today. :)



Now I'm just going to have to avoid buying more Chanel polishes because I've fallen in love all over again!


Who else sprang for Particuliere? Anybody have a polish that makes them feel really ultra elegant and sophisticated? I'd love to hear about it! :)


<3 kittytokaren