Saturday, April 24, 2010

NOTD: My 3rd attempt at water marbling

My first 2 attempts yielded unsightly results.
  • Attempt 1 was done before MSLP's AMAZING video tutorials. It was awful plus I chose red and white. It looked like I had peppermint candies on my nails.
  • Attempt 2 didn't work because I thought when you marble a light and dark color. Use the light color as the base so it pops. But that's not necessarily true. I found that I should have used the less pigmented color as the base. I swirled a well-pigmented but light pink $OPI w/ YDKJ (which needs 3 coats). I put the light pink on bottom and the effect was muddied b/c the YDKJ was translucent against the pink.

Attempt 3.


I used Zoya's Trixie and a Strangebeautiful. I did a base w/ 1 coat Trixie because it was the less pigmented of the two polishes.

Now I have to work on my swirl technique.
  • Don't smudge your polish (see pinky)
  • Make sure you get enough color swirl on the nail (see ring)
  • Choose one swirl technique and do that for every nail otherwise it doesn't match (compare thumb with any of the others)