Sunday, June 19, 2011

OPI Skull and Glossbones vs. Essie Playa Del Platinum

Skull and Glossbones is the first polish I tried from my Pirates Haul. It was the one I was most looking forward to, having lusted after it since seeing Just Nice Things' swatches back in February. And after all that interminable wait, I'm (inevitably) a little disappointed.



Don't get me wrong, it's very nice. This is two coats, although it could probably have done with three. It's pleasant to apply. It's a pretty colour. It's just...well, grey. I was kind of expecting a grungy, warm undertone, a thick creamy finish (it's a little sheer), y'know, something a little edgy. This doesn't make me think of bones particularly. Moaning aside, I have no doubt I'll reach for it (as I did here) when I want a clean, simple, stop-gap mani; it just doesn't knock my socks off. I compared it to Essie Playa del Platinum and although they're close, they're not dupes. PDP (in the middle) is a hair darker and warmer.



Anyway! I mentioned in the last post that I was going on a no-buy. So I diligently counted up all my unworn polishes, counted again, gulped, and then concocted a plan.

  • I have 70 unworn polishes of various brands (yikes) with the biggest offenders being illamasqua, OPI, and china glaze.
  • I have to wear half - 35 - of these before going on another polish bender.
  • I wear about two manicures a week, so this should take about 4 months.
  • Minor get out clause (the 'china glaze metallic crackles' amendment): I can make purchases during the no-buy, but these must be worn before the no-buy ends PLUS one additional polish from the unworn stash, thereby extending the time of the challenge.