Friday, September 11, 2009

10 random things about flinty

Dunno if anyone tagged any of the seven of us here but if not, well, I tag everyone here (and whomever wants to be tagged -- leave yours in our comments if you want)!

Ten random things you did not know about flinty:

10. I went to a women's college even though at the end of high school, I swore I disliked "girls".

9a. I'm incapable of reading novels and short stories unless I've seen a movie adaptation. I read almost exclusively non-fiction because I can't get into novels... but I can easily read poetry and plays.

9b. Most of the books I read are published by academic presses. If they aren't published by an academic press, they are nonetheless excruciatingly researched.

8. I love bath and body stuff but I've never used deodorant.

7. In an alternate life, I would want to be a filmmaker (preferably cinematographer) or a music video director (even though I never know what's on heavy rotation).

6. I barely ever listen to male singers but I like female ones, regardless of whether their voices are high or low pitched.

5. Until I went to college, I didn't realize that most of the US population was non-Catholic Christian: most of my friends were Jewish or Catholic (or every other religion that doesn't belong under the category of Protestant).

4. I love nearly all food but especially love salty, vinegary and savory foods. If actions had no consequences and food cost no money, I could eat cheese, red meat, good pickles and/or sashimi all day everyday.

3. Unsurprisingly, considering #3... since adolescence, I've been all weights from 110 to 200lbs and never at a stable weight for more than two months at a time. As a result, I own and cycle and re-cycle through clothes sizes 4 to 14.

2. I curse a lot in a casual way, without even thinking and without regard for children nearby. (I started when I was 8 so I don't really think of kids as people who shouldn't curse.)

1. I believe that 99.5% of the shitty things that have happened to me have been, in retrospect, blessings in disguise and that my current happiness is owed to my previous unhappiness. I am grateful for the pain and the journey that I was forced to improvise to deal with it: every step I took (backwards and forwards) brought me to where I am now. I still have a lot of problems but nothing's killed me yet. :P